Stoicism - My Understanding of Being a Stoic

When I tell the people - that I discovered that I am stoic - they often say: "No not you! You are not a sourpuss or grinch!". And stoics are often seen as selfish and introverted to others. 

Then I tell the people that I discovered that not long ago and that stoicism has nothing to do with being grim, sober, or humorless – a suppressing of emotions and withdrawal from the world – it is, in fact, a simple and immensely practical set of ways to deal with challenges in my point of view. 

I see stoicism as a way of life, and by the way there is no formally agreed definition what it means in particular and for everyone.
And a number of people think that stoicism doesn’t sound a laugh a minute, you might like to read what Seneca once said, “Laughter, and a lot of it, is the right response to the things which drive us to tears.” (Lucius Annaeus Seneca, known simply as Seneca (or Seneca the Younger), was a stoic philosopher and rhetorician).

Stoicism means to me living in acknowledgment of, appreciation to, and accordance with reality, acknowledging that life can be tough and bad things happen, but finding my peace in acceptance of things I cannot change, but as well to change the things I can, and taking the time and serenity to figure out the difference.


Stoicism helps me to build resilience in the face of unsteadiness and steady change. 

Our world and especially the digital world in which I am working as User Experience Designer, is characterized by relentless and exponential change, fuelled and powered by technological progress and innovations. Rather than resisting change, as stoic, I accept that it is natural and necessary for existence, and that so many things are not within my and our control. My understanding is that sufferings I experience are merely our inability to accept change. These are the very skills that stoicism provides me.

Stoicism helps me building self-awareness, emotional intelligence and self-confidence.


Stoicism and Hedonism

Stoicism and Hedonism are often mixed up - and they are two opposing ideologies - even they seem so similar to the others' eyes.

A Hedonist lives for pleasure and does whatever they want in the moment. Likewise, a Stoic lives for the moment. The mainly and principally difference is in their purpose and aim.

A hedonist wants to maximize pleasure and minimize pain. This is done by doing as many pleasurable activities as possible and avoiding anything that causes pain. Sure I am looking for pleasure and minimize pain but I am happy to having it as side effect. Mainly I try to do as much as I can to make sure I do not deceive myself. I strongly believe that we all somehow interconnected and that we should behave altruistically.

And that the ultimate goal — that people find happiness. And the highest good that makes someone happy is believing in humanity and brotherliness, which consists of prudence, temperance, justice, and fortitude. On the other hand hedonists see their highest good as their own highest amount of pleasure and less pain.




Comments

  1. If you like - Please send me your comment, or suggestion you may have.
    I will not publish the comments. If you want a reply please don't forget to leave your contact information - Thx

    Sie / Ihr könnt gerne Kommentieren - Kommentare werden nicht veröffentlicht!
    Aber wenn Du / Ihr eine Antwort erwartet bitte hinterlasst auch eine Email-Adresse - Danke

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sterbehilfe bei psychisch kranker Studentin - Berlin 2024

Sterbehilfe - Organisation, Hilfe finden, Kosten

Medikament - Freitod

Leid heißt nicht nur Schmerz - Gedanken zum Freitod

Wie werden in wenigen Tagen die Abgeordneten über die Sterbehilfe abstimmen?