I do not fear death (continuation of ... don't be afraid of dying, be afraid of never living)

I do and we all should accept death as inevitable.
I do not fear death. On the one hand that is likely due to my strong belief in an afterlife - I will meet my wife, all my dogs, our horses and cat and all nice people on the 'other side' - for me it is a small house at the Klondike. And on the other hand - I guess that the fear of death follows from the fear of life. A wo/man who lives fully, lived honesty to her/himself is prepared to pass away at any time - that's how I lived and live.

So many people are so wrapped up in the material things in life that they frequently overlook the most important moments in their lives - and joy and happiness.
Don’t be afraid to live life to the fullest because life is short and things might change ahead of schedule or quicker than one prefer or expect. Instead of living in the past or in regrets (as I outlined a few days ago), enjoy what is now. Allow yourself to be satisfied with what makes you happy. It is not a good idea to let others tell you what you can and cannot do. You cannot live in regret for the rest of your life. Don’t worry, because life is too short to be anything other than happy.

Recently I learned that atheists are less afraid of death. And less surprisingly religious people are most often afraid of death. Perhaps because some people may fear death because they believe they will not be able to face God after they die. And yes the fear of death is a natural emotion that is not only common but also natural - But why worry something I / we do not not know, can not visit tentatively 😊 and is anyway unavoidable.

Woody Allen once said, 'I'm not afraid of death, I just don't want to be there when it happens.' I like the quote 😀

But seriously, I am firmly believing that fearing death also makes it harder for us to process grief.  The results of researches tell clearly, that those who were afraid of death were more likely to have prolonged symptoms of grief after losing a loved one compared to those who had accepted death. For healthcare workers who care for dying patients, their own fear of death may get in the way of effectively communicating with patients and their families.

I can only suggest not to avoid the topic - talking about death is vital to get a good relation. We try to avoid things, like death, that make us uncomfortable, but avoidance can make those things loom even larger in our minds.
I think it would be better to replace the phrase “lives fully” with “lives meaningfully”.
No matter what your meaningful life looks like, start to develop it now, and you’ll be too busy feeling fulfilled to be afraid of death. 

I already suggested to live life to the fullest and active - Live the life you love - so that you love the life you live - and many people do not get even close to it - we must admit that we are not truly alive unless we are actively involved in some form of activity. Even when we engage in activity, we are often merely spectators in our own lives. So it is no wonder that so many people fear death - one of the unavoidable part of life. To be honest, we don’t have to be afraid of it - as it is unavoidable. There is only one thing that matters at the end of the day - that we loved the life we lived.


In this context these article might be helpful ...

Dealing with Death - then and NOW

Idea of Death and Life (TED talk)

You don't have to be afraid of dying - you should be afraid of never living YOUR life.





Comments

  1. Your comment is welcome, I will read them, reply if necessary or needed but will not publish comments - thx for your understanding

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sterbehilfe bei psychisch kranker Studentin - Berlin 2024

Sterbehilfe - Organisation, Hilfe finden, Kosten

Medikament - Freitod

Leid heißt nicht nur Schmerz - Gedanken zum Freitod

Wie werden in wenigen Tagen die Abgeordneten über die Sterbehilfe abstimmen?